Lascahobas Info pages are pure HTML, short for Hypertext Markup Language. Without entering deeper in the details; Pure HTML has many limitations:
- It is nightmare to manage the content because if you make a change in one page, you must go to every other pages for the same modification.
- Search is the most important application that we use in our daily activities. Search Engine is an important component of modern day web design. In order to look for any string of characters in a text, a database of some sort is required. Text is not searchable in Pure HTML.
- Pure HTML requires extensive labor and skills to add new futures to the website. Some concepts cannot even be implemented. Imagine for example CNN with contributors all over writing articles … Some of them last less than 6:00H in the front page.
The new design has the following components based on Open Source: Fedora 6 Linux, Database Mysql 5.0, Webserver Apache httpd 2.2, Middleware Php 5.1.6, Java 1.5 but the core of the new infrastructure is based on Joomla 1.5 Content Management System.
Joomla! is one of the most powerful Open Source Content Management Systems on the planet. It is used all over the world for everything from simple websites to complex corporate applications. Joomla! is easy to install, simple to manage, and reliable.
Out of the box, Joomla! does a great job of managing the content needed to make the website sing. But for many people, the true power of Joomla! lies in the application framework that makes it possible for thousands of developers around the world to create powerful add-ons and extensions. Here are just some examples of the hundreds of available extensions:
- Dynamic form builders
- Business or organizational directories
- Document management
- image and multimedia galleries
- E-commerce and shopping cart engines
- Forums and chat software
- Blogging software
- Directory services
- Email newsletters
- Data collection and reporting tools
- Banner advertising systems
- Subscription services
- and many, many more…
The redesign is based on extensive analysis, testing and evaluation of new extensions. Much of it is completed, such as the information architecture (that is grouping, labeling and display content) however some of it is still being refined, for example open issue under development include:
- Logo redesign
- Importing lascahobas info content
- Font face and font sizing
- Look and feel of the site
- Buy a module for creating an MP3 music library.